Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kershaw Drone: Quality Utility Folder.


I have yet to find a Kershaw knife I have not appreciated in some way. Since the companies founding in 1974 they have put out a lot of a wide array of folding pocket knives, hunting and sporting knives and kitchen cutlery. They are for the most part fantastic little blades which are usually quite affordable and have always offered exactly what I wanted in a knife, especially their folding knives

I received the Kershaw Drone in a recent shipment from my go to knife vendor. The Drone was released in 2011 as part of that years lineup and is marketed as an every day carry knife. It is a spring assisted clip point folding knife designed by Tim Galyean which features a 3.25 inch 8CR13MoV steel blade with glass filled nylon scales which sport a diamond cut texture that offers a good firm grip in the hands all at an affordable MSRP of 39.95 USD.

While it fits my hand quite nicely I do have some complaints about the overall design and build of the knife when it comes to ergonomics. For starters it is a pretty chunky knife by way of sporting so very thick scales  and while it offers a very nice texture I find that because these scales are so thick that manipulating the thumb studs is difficult and digging into the small strip of gimping on the blade is absolutely impossible making it quite useless as gimping.

Though the blade fits my hand quite nicely and for light utility tasks I have no concern about the knife going anywhere anytime soon. The blade response is very fast and offers a firm lockup I typically employ the paddle flipper to open the blade due to the aforementioned issue with the thumb studs, the flipper is very responsive and very easy to manipulate.

The factory edge on the blade when it arrived at my house is not something to write a lot of praise for. That being said I was able to use the blade for a couple of weeks with no major issue or difficulties before I decided to touch up the edge.

The pocket clip is very stiff and from what I can tell is made from a very strong steel and could tear your pockets quite badly after some use, that being said I do not ride this knife in my pocket it usually goes in my bag as a backup or on a pouch on my belt. However those who would be pocket carrying this knife may encounter such issues or may want to go with a different blade as the weight is something you notice immediately I am not usually someone who complains about blade weight but this weight (about is very noticeable

The lock up on my knife is very solid and I have no fear of the lock collapsing though I have heard complaints about the lock being unmilled but that has yet to be a bother to me.

All in all I think it is a very inexpensive option as a backup knife or a knife to leave in your vehicle or a kit somewhere and for being a pretty strong knife that is not likely to break could be a good gift for someone you know who needs a blade for work purposes but is not a knife guy.

Thats all for now folks. 
Greyman.

No comments:

Post a Comment