Sunday, July 22, 2012

Personal Thoughts: Some people are not looking for logical


"some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."- Alfred Pennyworth

Like probably every single other person on the planet I woke up (or rather tuned into the news while on shift) to the tragic shooting that struck an Aurora, Colorado based movie theatre just the other day and took the lives of twelve souls while wounding nearly sixty.

When I first read this I immediately thought back to that quote from The Dark Knight and have more or less concluded that this individual basically wanted to be his own little ode to the Joker. Time will tell if I am right in this regard.

I am something of a student of conflict and violence. I study terrorist attacks, spree shooters, organized crime and serial killers. I spend my mornings, evenings and basically any time that I am in front of a computer (which is almost always) pouring over news reports and case studies of things like the 1998 Real Irish Republican Army car bomb attack of Omagh, Northern Ireland much in the same way people read the sports page and check how the play-offs are going.

In my chosen field one has to truly have an understanding for certain things and violent people is one of them. And what may surprise some people is that at the core there really is no mystery to them. In the countless number of profiles and case studies I have read most of these people do not "just snap" over some event. Some claim that of course when the case goes to trial but typically they do it simply because they want to.

Lets talk about a seventeen year old girl named Brenda Spicer for a moment. Miss Spicer a seventeen year old high school student woke up on the morning of January 29th 1979 opened her bed room window and took aim at a play ground at the elementary school across the street with her .22 rifle and started firing on the children killing two and wounding eight as well as injuring the school principal and a police officer who were rushing to help the children.When she was finally arrested she didn't fight, she didn't complain, she just said "I don't like Mondays; this livens up the day."

Some consider this to the be first true school shooting carried out by a youth in American history. 

some things that Miss Spicer later said while in custody include "I had no real reason for it, it was just a lot of fun." "It was like shooting ducks in a row. The children looked like a herd of cows."

Now some people would claim that is a spree shooting, That the girl just snapped and nobody could have seen it coming but in fact Brenda was quoted as saying even months before the shooting things such as "One of these mornings, you're gonna look for me", "No one understands me", "You don't have to wait very long to see what is going on with me" her family reported how she "Fantasized about being a sniper" a classmate reported weeks prior that she said she wanted to "blow a policemans head off"

Now on there own these individual pieces of data may hold very little value but when you combine them you can start to build a profile on this person and it starts to paint a rather dark picture of who this person was. Somewhere this individual, this Mr Holmes has left a trail of clues to his activities and they are just waiting to be pieced together.

While I was at work the other day I recieved a text message from a colleague wanting me to weigh in on this professionally. At the time I did not have enough data yet to truly comment but it had got me thinking. There are three kinds of people on this earth, those who commit evil, those who want to reason with evil, and those who will stand against it. When "Dark Knight" came out a few years ago I saw many people with pictures and t-shirts and various other items adorned with the face of Heath Ledger's "Joker" on it. Now while the performance (the actors final performance) was absolutely fantastic in my personal opinion we need to realize that evil is not to be embraced. It is something to be fought against tooth and nail and at all costs.

I am personally someone who hates the sheepdog persona or to be specific I hate the word as I feel the term has been devalued by youtube gun stars. Having said that though we must acknowledge that not everyone is a sheepdog by nature. However, if our culture continues to penalize those who are for the actions of the "wolves", then we will find that we will start to have fewer and fewer "sheepdogs" as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment