Friday, February 24, 2012

Fight philosophy - The lack of hyper intense H2H options


Some people say you are either born a fighter or not. I believe there is some truth in that, just like people who are naturals at playing golf or mathematics or people born with artistic talent, some people are just born with that “angry blood”. Others are a product of their environment, that quintessential "bad neighborhood" that everyone always tells you too avoid. Those people who either by birth or upbringing have zero fear in their eyes before a throw down due to the large amount of fights they have been in.

At the same time I have seen guys go into the military as lightweights and come out as hard charging warriors so that is a good example that a combination of the right training, some hard work that puts a little callus on your hands and a few years in the right environment can transform even the most mundane individual into a pretty fearless individual.

I myself come more from the “product of my environment” category than the born angry category. I was a skinny socially awkward nerd who had very little confidence talking to someone much less fighting them. I had my fair share of ass kicking's, did a little bit of time in the emergency field and then when it came time to find a job I decided I wanted to work with the law but I was too stupid to go to law school so I decided to train to become a correctional officer.

At that point I knew I had to make a change if I would survive in such a business. I had willingly decided to enter an environment where I knew I would have to fight someone and so I decided that before I had the cell block doors lock behind me for the first time I wanted to get some genuine truly intense combative training I'm talking the type of training where you go home limping and you can’t remember what day it is.

I had that very type of training 3 times a week for almost 5 months.

Unfortunately due to the liability issues and the fact that MOST (not all) martial arts schools are built around getting you “up to the next level” [Read that as paying for more classes] – finding intense H2H training can be difficult.

 Kelly McCann addressed this issue in one of his books. He suggested creating a small group that was willing to train hard enough, frequently enough and pummel some learning into each other. No club, no insurance, no Kata, just a garage, backyard or any other private area and a bunch of motivated fighters.

Research the schools in your area or do some networking and build a crew to fight with on your own. Get out there and break through your comfort zone. Hit that point where you walk home limping and cannot remember what day it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment